Berkeley Montessori School
Client: Berkeley Montessori School
Architect: Pfau Architecture
The original Santa Fe rail depot was built in 1904 and was designed in the style of a mission by Charles Whittlesey. The depot functioned as a stop for Oakland Local passenger service until its termination in the 1950s.
BBI Construction was retained to convert the historic depot building into a K-8 Montessori school. The Project included the construction of two new classroom buildings totaling 15,000 sq. ft. and the restoration and renovation of the historic depot building. The campus also houses a library, cafeteria, after-school space, and administrative offices.
A special fund was established to build a sustainable project, and the goals that were met included: recycling of demolition materials, solar photovoltaic panels which generate electricity, radiant heat flooring, wall heaters which recycled hot water, sensored lights, and sustainable finishes such as bamboo flooring and linoleum.