Ninth Avenue Terminal
Client: Port of Oakland
Architect: Michael Willis Architecture & Architectural Resources Group
The Ninth Avenue Terminal is a fine example of Beaux Arts derived architectural style applied to create monumental imagery to a utilitarian, industrial municipal building. Originally designed for breakbulk cargo, the building is now used primarily for storage.
The 180,000 square foot Terminal Building is the last surviving municipal terminal in Oakland constructed from the 1925 voter approved harbor bond, and has been in continual use from October, 1930 to the present day. The building is currently a candidate for local historic landmark designation.
BBI Construction was retained to convert the facility into a one-of-a-kind wine making center, a waterfront restaurant, and a water-oriented recreational facility. The majority of the building will be occupied by independent artisan wineries and it will become an attractive regional destination featuring winery tours, celebrations and seasonal events, and waterfront wine tasting.