66 Franklin – Jack London Square
Client: Ellis Partners
Architect: Komorous Towey Architects
The former Haslett Warehouse, now known as 66 Franklin, was originally constructed in 1926 for the Lawrence Company. It was built one year after a city charter amendment created an independent port commission to operate port facilities. In 1955, the building was sold to the Port of Oakland. A third of the building was demolished to make way for construction of the Webster tube. The Port remodeled the remaining portion of the warehouse into an office and restaurant complex.
The design-build historic restoration and seismic upgrade of the building was the first of eight development sites in the historic warehouse district of Jack London Square's redevelopment project. The building's facade was restored to its original design with new multi-paned, metal sash windows, restored parapets and pilasters, and new store fronts and awnings. Project waste was reduced by 25% and 95% of construction debris was diverted from landfills back to the manufacturing process. Other sustainable goals included low VOC paint, and recycled/sustainable materials.